Home Maintenance Checklist
Know the location of your main hydro breaker, main water shut-off valve and all gas shut-off valves!
- Test all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors for proper operation.
- Test all ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) devices.
- Check that fire extinguishers are fully charged. Re-charge if necessary.
- Examine heating/cooling air filters and replace or clean as necessary.
- Inspect the bathtub and shower enclosures for deteriorated grout and caulk.
- Check all toilets, faucets, hose bibs, and supply valves for leakage.
- Examine the interior of the home and exterior driveway & walkways for trip hazards.
- Replace smoke and carbon monoxide detector batteries as per manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Have chimneys inspected and cleaned. Ensure that rain caps and vermin screens are secure.
- Examine the electrical panels, wiring and electrical components for evidence of overheating. Ensure that all components are secure. Flip the breakers on and off to ensure that they are not sticky.
- Clean & service heating, air conditioning, humidifier and electronic air cleaning units.
- Open drain valve on water heater so as to drain sediment from bottom of tank.
Spring & Fall
- Clean gutters and downspouts. Ensure that downspouts are secure, and that the discharge of the downspouts diverts the water away from home.
- Ensure that lot grading provides proper slope for water drainage away from home’s foundation.
- Remove debris from window wells.
- Examine roof for evidence of damage to roof shingles, flashings and chimneys.
- Check that overhead wires coming to the house are secure and clear of trees or other obstructions.
- Have the in-ground lawn irrigation system professionally winterized and re-opened in spring time.
- Trim back tree branches and shrubs to ensure that they are not in contact with the house.
- Inspect the exterior walls and foundation for evidence of cracking, movement or missing mortar.
- Survey the basement and/or crawl space walls for evidence of moisture seepage.
- Inspect driveway, walkways, decks and porches for evidence of deterioration and movement.
- Clean windows and test their operation. Improve caulking and weather-stripping as necessary. Watch for evidence of rot in wood window frames.
- Paint and repair windowsills and frames as necessary.
- Shut off isolating valves in fall for exterior hose bibs and disconnect any exterior hoses. After turning off the interior shut off, open the exterior hose bib so as to drain off any trapped water inside the line.
- Switch Central Air Conditioning circuit breaker switch on in spring and off in fall to save hydro.
- Adjust HVAC registers for heating in fall and air conditioning in spring.
- Inspect for evidence of wood boring insect activity. Eliminate any wood/soil contact around the perimeter of the home.
- Oil door locks and hinges and tighten doorknob and hinge screws.
- Test the overhead garage door opener(s), to ensure that the auto-reverse mechanism is responding properly. Clean and lubricate hinges, rollers and tracks on overhead doors.
- Look in the attic (if accessible) to ensure that roof vents are not obstructed. Check for evidence of leakage, condensation or vermin activity. Level out insulation if needed.
- Replace or clean exhaust hood filters.
- Clean dryer vent duct to remove any lint or obstruction.
- Clean, inspect and/or service all appliances as per the manufacturer’s recommendations.